The launch of Magento 2 has brought in a whole new range of features for e-commerce stores. To add to this, the new version is fast, user-friendly, and well-optimized. Sellers are keen to explore these features for adding new functionalities to the websites and using them to their advantage. This is one reason that Magento 2 development is gaining precedence in the present times. However, moving over to the new version is a decision that needs to be considered with great care. Also, the seller has to take some steps to be well prepared for the contingencies that the store might encounter during the process.
The Planning Stage: Things to Consider Before the Migration
- Magento 2 is definitely better and faster than its predecessor. So, a move is recommended without a doubt for the sellers who have just launched their store, or the ones not having high-traffic stores at present.
- Merchants who are happy with the performance of their existing stores running on the earlier version need not rush up with things. They have plenty of time as it will be supported for another three years. However, they have to bear in mind that not many themes and extensions will be added to the older version in the near future.
- It is advisable to avoid upgrading if some important event, such as a festive sale, is lined up. The reason is that the transition usually involves glitches and downtime, which may result in huge losses during the boom time.
- Another important consideration relates to the themes and extensions being used in the existing store, which might not yet be available for Magento 2. You should not migrate unless you are sure that the store will retain its functionalities after the move.
The Implementation Stage: Steps of Migration
- Start by reviewing the existing Magento store to assess the required themes and extensions, the ones that can be discarded, and the database assets that have to be migrated.
- Plan a proper infrastructure by checking with the hosting company whether they are capable of hosting a store running on the advanced platform version and also if they would be able to scale with the future growth of the business.
- Next, you would need an expert developer to create a Magento 2 store and install the required themes and extensions on it. The useless ones should be discarded. Following this, a migration tool is to be installed for facilitating the data migration process.
- Meanwhile, take a full backup of the existing store and also create a clone for it so that you do not need to use the live store for the process. Verify the compatibility of the custom code, current theme, and extensions with Magento 2.
- Use the migration tool to transfer the settings and database to the new version of the store. While doing so, the cron jobs and activities on the original website have to be ceased.
- Remove the useless and outdated data from the database. Once the transfer is complete, reindex the Magento 2 site and test it.
The Post-Migration Stage: Going Live
Most of the activity in the admin panel of the original store is ceased before initiating migration, yet sellers have to carry on with some order processing issues. Additionally, there might be some customer profile updates and new user reviews during this time span. These incremental updates have to be taken care of post the migration. After ensuring the same and ensuring complete data transfer, the site has to be made live.
Seeing the entire steps of Magento 2 migrated, it can be inferred that this is a complex process which requires professional expertise. Magento India is a leading Magento agency which extends the complete range of services for creating exceptional e-commerce stores. Get in touch to Hire Magento 2 developers who are capable of migrating your existing Magento website to the latest version in a smooth and seamless manner.