For E-commerce brands, selecting a platform is a tough and complicated job. There are several platforms available and the two most popular platforms that always compete with each other are Magento 2 and Shopify. It is important to consider all features when making a decision to invest in an Ecommerce business.
The success of an online enterprise is greatly dependent on its business website. The choice of the right platform will ultimately impact the results that the store would fetch in the future. Therefore, it is essential to understand the business requirements and select a platform that works for you. Magento has garnered immense popularity for its e-commerce compatible features, but today it is facing stiff competition from Shopify. However, the release of Magento 2 has changed the game and Magento 2 development has become store owners’ preferred choice. A comparison between the two would help to make the right decision about the platform they should avail.
An important fact is that your online store is a success or a failure depends on the selection of the platform. In this blog post, we will make a comprehensive comparison to highlight their differences and help you choose the most suitable platform.
Features of Comparison
1. Ease Of Use
When choosing a platform, ease of use is an important parameter. Magento 2 is an open-source while Shopify is the paid version. Both Magento 2 and Shopify have a well-designed and friendly UI. Magento 2 is based on PHP, while Liquid is used in the Shopify. For this reason, Magento 2 is the perfect choice for the enterprise and Shopify is great for the simple stores. Magento 2 is a clear winner in terms of source code customization and implementation. However, Shopify set up is easier because it offers a wizard mode that helps to carry out the whole process step-by-step.
Security is important to run a successful E-commerce business. On a daily basis, hundreds of websites are hacked making online business vulnerable. To keep the websites protected from threats, best security plugins and updates are required.
Shopify comes with PCI compliance & SSL encryption as it is a paid version. In addition, a customer’s sensitive data is secured during the whole shopping period.
Magento 2 gives the user great flexibility to improve website security as per need. Although it is a robust CMS, efforts are needed from the user to follow PCI compliance. To improve the security standard, brands can reach out to Magento Support for regular updates.
Shopify is SaaS-based and does not require any setup fees. In fact, it provides users a 14-day free trial before asking for a paid version. It offers different plans for users like:
• The Basic plan at $ 29 per month
• Pro at $ 79 per month
• Unlimited at $ 179 per month
Additionally, transaction fees range from 2.0% to 0.5% for payment gateways, lower fees are charged for the costlier subscription. Conversely, Magento 2 has a free Community Edition that demands a fee on the basis of specific needs and store size. However, users need to pay for hosting services as it is not included in the package. It is best to choose a reliable hosting service from Magento Marketplace that is able to handle the speed and storage needs of the website.
Additional Features to Consider
• Magento 2 comes with a plethora of add-on extensions, while Shopify has limited free and paid apps and add-ons. For this reason, the front end can be customized. With this platform, features like coupon codes, wishlists, related products, customer dashboards, etc can be integrated into the store. This is not possible with the other platform.
• Magento 2 is more advanced than Shopify in terms of multi-lingual functionalities as the former has inbuilt multi-languages. While Shopify based stores need to adopt third-party apps while building multi-lingual stores.
• The basic Shopify version permits only 25 products on a store while Magento 2 has no limit in any case. The problem is fixed with the premium plans of Shopify. Also, being a hosted solution, it stops performance issues that may crop up in Magento based stores.
• Magento 2 has strong community support too as it is backed by a better community of developers, merchants, testers, scholars and partners. They are available to help each other with the resolution of issues, while Shopify has official support.
• Both platforms come with a large number of themes and templates that enable the creation of responsive websites.
• Both are SEO-compatible too, enabling them to get high rankings and traffic for the online stores.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which is better Shopify or Magento 2?
Hosting is a major difference between the two E-commerce development CMSs. Shopify is a hosted platform while Magento is a self-hosted. Shopify address all the hosting challenges. All hosting costs are included within the monthly plan with no extra effort or expense required from the user.
2. Why Magento 2 is best for E-commerce?
Magento 2 is a flexible and secure platform for E-commerce development. It is one of the best platforms in terms of features, security, and support. This is the reason behind the huge demand for Magento 2 development among brands. You can build a fully scalable and advance an E-commerce store by using Magento CMS.
3. Is Shopify a good place to sell?
Overall, Shopify is a great CMS having hosting solution for those planning to build an online selling platform and for those who want to use one product to sell. It’s great for the brands who are interested in dropshipping.
Making a choice between the two platforms is easy. Shopify is ideal for a business that has a small-sized store while Magento 2 is the apt choice for large, global enterprises with huge shopping sites. You can hire Magento 2 developers for your E-commerce store development and build an engaging store to drive sales. Make sure to consult from a reputed & recognized web development agency having proper resources to take your business idea to reality.