Web accessibility is an important factor behind business success and trust. In fact, with the implementation of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), commercial facilities are required to provide accessible designs for individuals with special needs. If you want your ecommerce store to succeed, it needs to be accessible to all consumers. Building a Magento website design in an accessible manner is the right thing to do. The internet is a perfect tool, and everyone should have an equal opportunity to enjoy its benefits.
One billion people across the globe experience some sort of disability, according to reports. People may need equipment and assistive technology to use a computer and access the internet. There are no specific legal requirements for a website; there are solid guidelines that are crucial to implementing.
What is Americans with Disabilities Act?
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a civil rights law. It states disability as “a physical or mental impairment that limits one or more major life activities.” The ADA prohibits any sort of discrimination against people with disabilities and ensures that these individuals have the same opportunities.
The Importance of ADA Compliance
In the past few years, several websites have experienced legal cases. If you want to ensure protection of your Magento ecommerce development from legal liability, it is important to make your website ADA compliant.
In addition to protecting your business against lawsuits, ADA compliance also allows:
• Creating a better, more inclusive user experience
• Improve brand awareness and reputation
• Improve search engine rankings
How to Check Website Accessibility Issues?
This can be performed both manual and automated. If you want to implement a deep accessibility audit, several tools and methods are implemented. Here are a few to get you started:
• Web Accessibility: Tests your website for accessibility issues.
• Color Contrast Accessibility: This tool checks your website for color contrast issues and then offers recommendations to fix any issues.
• A11y: A free tool scans your website for accessibility issues depending on WACG 2.1.
• Accessibility Insights: It is a free Chrome extension that identifies accessibility issues on your website.
Depending on your budget, you can also outsource Magento 2 development company that specializes in accessibility audits and optimization.
What are the Benefits of ADA Compliance?
Adapting to ADA requirements offers multiple benefits to website including:
• Build better customer experiences for those with disabilities.
• Improve business reputation and brand recognition.
• Expand website reach to users who usually considered a website too difficult to navigate.
Tips to Design ADA-Compliant Magento Website
1. Enable Keyboard Navigation
The important thing to do when looking to improve the website’s accessibility is to make sure all features can be used with a keyboard. This comprises navigating pages, auto-completing text, clicking on links and buttons, selecting and unselecting items, and closing dialog boxes. This is quite helpful for users who can’t use a computer mouse for one reason or another.
2. Speech Reader-Friendly Feature
Blind and visually-impaired users prefer using speech readers to understand the content of a specific webpage. To improve the website’s accessibility, make sure that it is speech reader-friendly. In the website, images add alt text and make sure to use relevant and descriptive text. Test your website functionality using a speech reader and identify if any issues persist, like content being read out of order or text getting repeated.
3. Avoid Pop-Ups and Animations
Keep the minimum number of website elements and features that hamper the user experience, like pop-ups, auto-playing videos, and above all animations. Not only are they distracting, but they are also risky for users who have seizures. According to guidelines, your website shouldn’t contain any elements that flash more than three times per second. This will help users with photosensitive seizure disorders to access your website without any complications.
4. Timely Website Audit
Addressing your website’s accessibility issues isn’t a one-and-done process. Once you keep adding new content, it’s likely you’ll experience more issues throughout the journey. You should audit your website for accessibility periodically and address any new issues that arise as soon as possible.
So, these are the best possible means to build an ADA-compliant website for business expansion. To help you with a smooth & streamlined development process, hire Magento 2 developers from a reputed development company having all resources under one roof.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why ADA compliance is important?
The ADA protects the rights of people with disabilities in all aspects of employment, in accessing public services such as transportation, and guaranteeing access to private establishments such as restaurants, stores, hotels, and commercial buildings.
2. Is ADA compliance mandatory for websites?
In the U.S., apart from federal, state, and local government websites which must meet Section 508 regulations, there are no enforceable ADA legal standards to follow for website accessibility.
3. What if my website is not ADA compliant?
You could face a lawsuit if a person with disability claims they cannot access your website. You might endure legal fees, a possible settlement, a potential public relations problem, and the cost of rebuilding your website so that it complies with the ADA.
4. How do I make my website accessible disabled?
• Make Sure All Content Is Easily Accessible.
• Choose Your Colors Carefully.
• Add Alt Text to All Images.
• Design Your Forms for Accessibility.
• Don’t Use Tables for Anything apart from Tabular Data.
• Use Headers to Structure Your Content Correctly.
• Enable Resizable Text That Doesn’t Break Your Site.
Apart from protecting your business from any legal troubles, improving your website’s accessibility also helps with a better, more comprehensive customer experience. It helps to boost brand awareness and improve search engine rankings, as well. You can use this blog post to improve your website’s accessibility on your own or consult Magento 2 development company. This will ensure you’re doing everything possible to build an ADA-compliant website.