“Creating a user-friendly eCommerce store experience is directly linked with more product sales. With time and again, Google keeps changing its website ranking algorithm to make specific updates and then rank accordingly. 2021 is all resounded with the latest Google ranking metrics called Core Web Vitals that have created a sensation in the SERP world. Now, follow the metrics to improve Magento store score and optimize the platform to create profitable product selling experience”.
It’s 2021 and Google has already made a huge update with its new ranking factor metrics called Core Web Vitals. Unlike posting keyword-rich and relevant content, it needs something more to value a particular page and rank it according to the new measures of ranking.
Especially, the eCommerce websites have to do much of the work according to the new SERP update and make specific changes to rank high. Mainly to improve the Magento store score, it is imperative to understand the impact of Core Web Vitals and optimize it accordingly.
So, here, in this blog, we provide an important thorough about inside details of Core Web Vitals and how to enhance Magento Store Score in relation to the same.
What are Core Web Vitals?
For all these years, Google has always updated the way it gives preference to websites that offer an upscale level of user experience. A website being fully mobile responsive features HTTPS, offers safe browsing, and has an absence of officious popups offers.
Now, a per the new rollout to visually enhance the user experience on a particular website, Google has come up with Core Web Vitals. It is a three aspect ranking metric that helps to improve UX. It is a user-centric factor that helps the site owners to measure the effectiveness of a particular webpage based on the following aspects.
- Largest Contentful Paint (LCP): It is a performance metric that helps to determine how much time does it take to load the performance of the large size text, images, videos, or media block on a particular webpage.
- First Input Display (FID): It measures interactivity in terms of how long does a page takes to process an event in response to the user’s interaction.
- Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS): It involves measuring the performance of a page to look at how stable it is and how users interact with the same.
Why Should you Care About Core Web Vitals for Magento Platform?
Core Web Vitals have finally made their way into the Google’ Search Console and are very much part of it to measure the effectiveness of web pages. No matter, if your Magento store is fully optimized, even after the successful Magento store migration process. Still, it is inevitable to further optimize according to the key performance metrics of Core Web Vitals.
Thus, it is imperative to go beyond the measures of increasing page loading speed and adding relevant information to the platform. For improving Magento Store Score, it needs to be perfectly optimized to meet the factors of Core Web Vitals.
So, start focussing on Core Web Vitals aspects and improve the same accordingly to enhance Magento Store Score.
Know Something About Largest Contentful Paint (LCP)
The first out of the three Core Web Vitals components is Large Contentful Paint (LCP). This metric determines how long does it take to load the largest pieces of content on a website. Such large size content can be images, text, graphics, videos, and media blocks.
LCP metrics is not just about enhancing the overall speed of the website but the rather loading efficiency of every single media content. It is taken into consideration to look at how users interact with the webpage. Moreover, as per the Core Web Vitals considerations, LCD should not be more than 2.5 seconds.
Common Reasons of Poor LCP on Magento Website
- Slow server response time could be one of the reasons for slow page loading speed and graphic elements. Poor web hosting, API responses, unoptimized database queries, or lack of catching are some of the common reasons for slow servers.
- It might take a slow speed to load the images, text, videos, and other resources to degrade the LCP performance.
Optimize LCP of Magento Store
No matter whatever might be the reason affecting the performance of LCP of your Magento website. There are fortunately quick fixes available to deal with the rising issue and once again increase the site’s performance to an optimum level.
- Estimate the First Time to Byte or TFFB: At first, you need to check whether the server response time is normal or not. If the resultant outcome exceeds 500 ms, then use a CDN (Content Delivery Network) to the revise hosting option, back-end code, and following caching strategies.
- Merge & Minify CSS Files: It is better to combine and work out on the large CSS files to stop them from hindering the rendering of the above-fold content.
- Optimize Images: The better way out is to optimize all the images to improve the performance of LCP. For this, you need to compress the images to a better size without compromising on the quality.
- First Preference to System Fonts: It is a mandatory affair to give first preference to system fonts that take less time to load the content on a webpage.
Know Something About First Input Displays (FID)
First Input Display (FID) is the second important component of the much talked about Google’s Core Web Vitals. The metric understands how well a webpage response to the first-time interaction of a user. This means, when a new user lands on your Magento platform, tap anywhere on it, then how fast and well the webpage response to a particular query of the users.
If the webpage takes time to showcase the desired action after the inputs of a user, then its FID seems to be problematic. Thus, quick fixes are needed to enhance the Magento performance and their solutions using a guiding expert’s assistance.
Common Reasons of Poor FID on Magento Website
- The primary reason for experiencing a slow FID performance on web pages could be heavy input latency.
- It takes time to load heavy JS files.
- Long JS bundles further result in degraded FID performance.
- Long tasks allowing the browser to pause for a while.
Optimize FID of Magento Store
As you know from the above, a browser overloaded with so many tasks at hand cannot process the user’s query well on time. So, the concern should be to lift the heavy load of the browser using the following tactics to improve the Magento Store Score.
- Split Tasks: The first step towards fixing the issues with the FID of the Magento store, is to focus on the tasks that take more than 50 ms to perform. It’s all about lifting the heavy load from the browser and prevent slow speed.
- Prioritize Web Elements: Implement this task by giving preference to the on-demand loading of the third-party assets.
- Add a Web Worker: Rely on the expertise of a professional web worker to partly run JS(non-UI tasks) on a background.
Know Something About Cumulative Layout Shifts (CLS)
Cumulative Layout Shifts (CLS) is the third yet most important element of the Core Web Vitals. On it determines the overall shopping experience of customers on your Magento Store.
It basically measures the webpage stability as per the desired action of a user. For example, if a customer is looking for a particular product page on the Magento platform and then suddenly it changes to something else against the desired action of a user, then it is a CLS issue. If that happens, then it will be annoying for customers looking at certain products and could not buy the same due to frequent changes in layout. As a result, a customer will leave your website and move to another one.
Common Reasons of Poor CLS on Magento Website
- Inappropriate sizes of images can be one of the reasons for poor CLS.
- It could be due to using web fonts that trigger FOUT and FOIT.
- Dynamically injected content can be another major factor to degrade the overall performance of CLS metrics. Just like in the case of using unsized images, content insertion on a dynamic basis does not allow the webpage to showcase stability.
Optimize CLS for Magento Store
- Preset the Dimensions of All Media Attributes: It is better to specify the height and width of all the attributes of media and reserve particular spaces to prevent the webpage to jump from one layout to another.
- Choose System Fonts Wisely: If you are dealing with the font issue, then start using the system fonts to prevent the unpredicted shifts in layouts.
- Use Placeholders to Showcase Pictures: It helps to improve the performance of media visibility by having an already aligned space for pictures.
It is imperative to run and update your Magento Store Score according to the updated ranking metrics of Core Web Vitals. It is an important factor to enhance the website user experience, interactive pleasure, and shopping spree of customers. With a reliable Magento eCommerce Development Agency, MagentoIndia, you can fix all the Core Web Vital issues and enhance the performance of the online retail platform.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Is Core Web Vitals Important for Magento Store?
The primary aim of Core Web Vitals is to improve the overall Magento Store performance and improve the online shopping experience of all the users. In short, it is relevant to make specific changes according to 2021 ranking metrics and find your store meeting the diverse requirements of customers.
Q. Does it Require a Magento Developer to Improve Store’s Core Web Vitals?
Yes, you need to hire a Magento developer to fix all the issues of Core Web Vitals based on your Magento platform. The latest ranking algorithm of Google requires looking into deep technical details and creative elements of the eCommerce website under the supervision of an expert partner.
Q. In How Much Time Magento Store Score be Increased?
There is no fixed time to enhance the scoring of the Magento Store. At first, all the components of Core Web Vitals related to your Magento website are taken to consideration and then the work is implemented to further strategize the timeline.