There are billions of websites over the internet competing for getting ranked & visibility in the search engines. Many tools are available to improve the SEO performance. XML Sitemap are highly significant elements integrated to achieve this important goal.
In today’s blog, we would discuss the benefits & steps to generate both Magento 2 XML and HTML sitemaps. In general, a sitemap is basically a navigational tool having links to all located resources on a website. It offers an overview of the website’s structure and content. It is better to Hire Magento 2 developer to perform the complete task in a systematic manner.
For Magento 2 sites, XML and HTML sitemaps are two most important ones. An XML sitemap basically helps search engines analyze the site’s structure and index the pages in a better way. While an HTML sitemap supports users to explore the website and find their respected items in an effective manner.
Benefits of an XML Sitemap
To make your website visible on the search engine, you have to let search engines know what is present and ready to be crawled on your website. Crawlers typically find a page by following links from other pages or websites and reading sitemaps.
- If your Magento 2 site is new, small, and has limited external links present, search engines might not be able to discover your website. Submitting a sitemap is an excellent strategy to let search engine bots know about your website and later index it accordingly.
- If your Magento store is large having dynamic content and the pages are not well-linked to each other, adding a sitemap with the guidance of Magento developers ensure that search engines do not miss important content.
- If your e-commerce store operates internationally with similar content page in different languages, an XML sitemap ensure crawlers must get this information. Search engines use this information to provide users right version of the website.
Benefits of an HTML Sitemap
Unlike an XML sitemap that is machine-readable, HTML is basically written for humans.
- A Magento 2 HTML sitemap gives buyers a clear structure of an online store. If you manage an e-commerce website with hundreds of categories and products, adding an HTML sitemap is a perfect approach to give customers a complete overview of site.
- When you allow visitors to navigate site and find their desired products easily and quickly, you will get better user experience and surely higher conversion rates.
- Besides improving user experience, an HTML sitemap improves the crawling and indexing experience. Google cannot guarantee about indexing all URLs in the XML sitemap but HTML sitemap is fully crawled. As Google finds a page from another page, Magento 2 HTML sitemap works as a perfect tool offering internal links to every page of the store.
How to Create Sitemaps for Magento 2 Websites?
Using Magento 2 built-in feature
Magento 2 has a built-in feature known to generate an XML sitemap, but it is important to use it when the store is relatively small and doesn’t include multiple URLs.
Follow these steps:
Step 1: Open the Admin panel, select Marketing > Seo & Search > Site Map
Step 2: Click the Add Sitemap button
Step 3: Fill out
- In the Fieldname, provide the name of the XML map.
- In Path, type in the path where it’ll be located.
- Choose Store View.
Step 4: Click Save and Generate. Once finished, you’ll come across the lists of sitemaps in the grid.
If come across any sort of trouble, reach out Magento Support Services for timely guidance from team of experts.
Generate XML sitemap using Cron
You can configure so that the XML sitemap is created automatically with Cron:
Step 1: Go to Admin panel > Stores > Configuration > Catalog > XML Sitemap.
Step 2: The three tabs Categories Options, Products Options, and CMS Pages Options include the same structure. Click to expand and set the Frequency and Priority for each page type.
Step 3: Configure setting for sitemap generation frequency.
Step 4: Set Sitemap File Limits
The general rule applied is that an XML sitemap shouldn’t include more than 50,000 URLs and must be greater than 50MB.
Step 5: Open Search Engine Submission Settings, decide how the sitemap is submitted to search engines. Select “Yes” to Enable Submission to Robots.txt.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1.What is Sitemap in Magento?
An XML sitemap is a plain-text file that lists all the URLs of your Magento 2 website. It can also include additional metadata on each URL.
Q2.How do I upload a Sitemap to Magento?
- Access the Admin panel.
- On the Marketing menu, click Site Map in the SEO & Search section.
- In the Site Map view, click Add Sitemap.
- In the New Site Map view, enter the following values: Filename: sitemap.
- Click Save & Generate.
- Click the path in the Link for Google column.
Q3.What is Magento Extension?
A Magento extension is a software PHP code including functions, added into Magento to improve its functionality. Extensions are developed using the broad network of Magento partners to improve flexibility and power to maintain the store the way you want.
XML and HTML sitemaps are amazing tools that every Magento 2 store should include. While an XML sitemap can improve SEO performance, an HTML sitemap can boost user experience. We hope that, by this blog, you have got a better foundation of sitemaps in Magento 2. And you are ready to add these features into your Magento 2 website.